Monday, October 5, 2009

Outer Banks Trip Fall 2009

We went to the Outer Banks this weekend for our annual Fall trip. We had the absolute best time, and did not want to come home. We were able to pack a lot in just a short weekend, but didn't feel like we did too much. We went down on Friday afternoon, and went to our favorite restaurant down there, Tale of the Whale. It is so nice being able to go to a restaurant, and knowing that the same people who were working there six months ago, a year ago, 2 years ago, are still going to be there! It makes a difference in the service. Aidan ate his favorite, spaghetti! He also enjoyed throwing it. :( He is only 2 once!

We knew we wanted to go see the wild horses near Corolla, but when we got up Saturday morning it looked like it was going to be a soggy day. Fortunately, the sun came out and it was a beautiful day. We did something I have never heard of before, and was a little intimidated by it at first, but then really enjoyed it. We went to the "4x4 beaches." No paved roads, and only accessible with 4 wheel drive vehicles. You have to drive on the beach!!!!! I have never seen a beach like this before. There were tons of houses out there, but they were way off the beach. The beach was clear and it felt so secluded. I am sure there are probably tons more people there during the peak season, but we enjoyed feeling like we had our section all to ourselves! If I had known there was so little information about it on the internet, I would have done a much better job taking pictures! Unfortunately, we only got to see one wild horse, but that was exciting enough! They are so beautiful, and their story is amazing! I love things like that!

After leaving this beach we decided to go down to Rodanthe to find the house from Nights in Rodanthe. I was so excited, and was happy that Aidan woke up from his nap just in time to get out for pics! There were several others around taking pics as well. It was pretty sad seeing how much the house had gone down hill. I have put a pic from the movie in the slideshow, and then several that we took in person. Big difference. It is currently for sale, but it will never sell. It is about to fall down and the waves come up under the house even during low tide. So sad! I really enjoyed getting to see it though!

By this time, Aidan really needed to stretch his legs. It was mid-afternoon and we had been going since around 9 that morning. We went to Bodie lighthouse and let him run around. He had a ball. They built a new boardwalk that was really cool. It was neat seeing the lighthouse from a different perspective. They are working on the light and hope to be able to reopen it for climbing soon. Hatteras is the only one I have climbed, so it will be neat to go up in another one. The pics of the lighthouse didn't fit in the slideshow well, so here are some of the better ones.



Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: Outer Banks Fall 2009

Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox

Make a Smilebox slideshow









No comments: