Monday, August 25, 2008

1st Birthday!

I can't believe it, but Aidan celebrated his first birthday on Friday! This year has been extremely fast, and lots of fun. Andy and I both love spending time with Aidan. He is the absolute best! Here is a picture of him that I love from earlier in the week:

We both took off work to spend the day with Aidan. We got up early and took him to the diner for breakfast. He had silver dollar pancakes, applesauce, cheerios, and juice. He loves pancakes! Even with no butter or syrup! Then we went to pick up Ashley on the way to get Aidan's 1st birthday picture taken. We had a lot of fun with the pictures. I made Aidan a "smash cake" to use in the photos, and it was really neat to watch him slowly figure out exactly what it was. At first he didn't really like the texture between his fingers, but then he realized it tasted good, and it was all over! We included "monkey" in one of the pics since he was the inspiration for the party and Aidan's favorite stuffed animal. We should be able to see them sometime next week.

We then went home to meet Andy's parents who came down for the party, and spent the rest of the afternoon getting ready. Since I had to make smash cakes on Thursday night unexpectantly (since Lowe's Foods does not understand the importance of having nice smash cakes!), I wasn't able to finish the monkey until Friday afternoon. I was not able to practice like I had planned, but I was happy with the way he turned out. Here he is:



We cooked hamburgers, hot dogs and chicken on the grill and had Andy's parents and my family over. Aidan loves chicken! After supper, he got to eat his smash cake:

Obviously, he had to have a bath before he could open his presents.

Aidan gots lots of toys and clothes. I think he liked reading his cards more than the gifts.

One of his "big" gifts was his Radio Flyer horse. He played with Creston and Mack's several months ago, and really seemed to enjoy it, so we bought him one for his birthday.


Saturday Warren, MC and Holly came down to visit, so we had another "celebration" that night too. I think Aidan enjoyed having someone a little closer to his size around! Then on Sunday, we did it all over again at mama's house. He got a piece of his cake to play with, but was really tired, so he didn't really enjoy opening his presents very much. We went home and took a 2hour nap!He got a car, but we haven't put it together yet. That will be something exciting for the long Labor Day weekend!



On Monday, Aidan had his 12 month check up. Unfortunately, he had to get 3 shots and blood work. The finger prick was the worst because she had to keep squeezing it. They were running behind and it was Aidan's nap time, so he zonked in the room. Having his finger stuck was not the best way to wake up. Everything else was great and he checked out fine. He now weighs 25lbs and 1/2oz, and is 31 inches long. He is in the 80th percentile on height and weight. He can now have whole milk rather than formula, and can ride facing forward in the car seat. So far, he loves facing forward! They want him to be weaned from the paci by 15 months. The only time he really uses it now, is nap/bed time and in the car. Our first step is not using it in the car. So far, so good. It may take a while to remove it from the sleep routine though!

Here are a few thoughts from Aidan (he loves the keyboard!), some more pics from the weekend, and a slideshow of Aidan's first year.

HYJVV 423EFW423EWXS3De f rbf hbyrj jn
a


Click to play Aidan's Birthday!
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow


Click to play Aidan's First Year
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Happy Birthday Aidan!!!! I was thinking about him over the weekend and had been meaning to email this week. I love the blue icing on his face and the monkey cake is too cute!

We seriously have to get Adian and Emily together soon. We have my mom's birthday this weekend, but hopefully soon.

Martha Parlier said...

Happy FIRST Birthday, Aidan! He is SUCH a big boy now! I just can't get over those eyes! I'm always going to say that!! I love all the pictures and that Monkey cake was really adorabe! You are TRULY a talented mommy!!! You should go into the cake business!!! Hope to see you guys soon!